When Greg and I are in a pinch for supper during the week, we sometimes buy the whole roast chicken available at the meal counter at our local supermarket. Once we’ve picked off all the meat, I like to make homemade chicken broth perfect for soups.
Homemade chicken broth is easy to make, plus unlike many of the store-bought varieties it has a lot less sodium. I came across this recipe for homemade broth while searching for a chicken noodle soup recipe (also really good). There always seems to be something comforting about the Chef at Home, Chef Michael Smith, and now that the fall weather is settling, a recipe like homemade chicken broth to warm you up, is just what the doctor order.
The recipe is fool-proof really (just chop, add water, boil, strain and cool), maybe I can convince Greg to start making it 🙂
I’ve played with the fresh herbs, the grocery store didn’t have thyme, so I used savory. Both provide more than enough flavour to the broth without being overpowering.
One tip – I have found straining the broth using cheesecloth has left the least amount of residue.
So what are my plans for this broth? Let’s just say, it will involve more chicken and some slurping~kM
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- RT @FarmBoy: Only 2 days left in our Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off! Submitted your ballot yet? Closest guess at each location wins a $50 Farm Boy… 7 hours ago
- On the menu tonight: tomato soup with grilled halloumi #fall #comfortfood #ottawa #soup https://t.co/sUv3BId3TZ 3 days ago
- On the menu tonight: spaghetti squash jambalaya goodcheapeats.com/2016/09/spaghe… 5 days ago
- On the menu tonight: Garlic Parmesan Salmon healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/baked-g… 1 week ago
- On the menu tonight: cripsy chicken thighs #lowcarb #keto jenniferbanz.com/crispy-chicken… 1 week ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen