Maple syrup can be an indulgent treat on pancakes, as candy, butter, enjoyed on snow, the possibilities are endless but usually aren’t very good for us. However, there are ways to enjoy it in moderation, like adding sweetness to a vinaigrette, and as spring arrives so does the excitement and the anticipation of local fresh produce hitting our markets.
Our fridge usually has a big bowl of salad in it that we can pick at throughout the week, for lunches, dinners or even a late night snack. We top it with all our favourites: blue cheese (my fav not Greg’s), sunflower or pumpkin seeds, almonds or dried cranberries. Drizzle a little of our homemade maple balsamic vinaigrette and delish!
3/4 cup (175ml) olive oil
1/3 cup (75 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. (15ml) maple syrup
1 tbsp. (15ml) lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
My best friend Olivia (@obargelletti) gave me this great jo!e salad dressing mixer. It has measurements on the side and the lid acts has a hand pump spinner to mix your dressing ingredients. We make a batch of dressing and it’s ready to mix and pour whenever we need it.
So there is a way to enjoy the fine flavour of maple syrup almost everyday, in small doses while getting all the great nutrition from a well constructed salad.
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- RT @Bell_LetsTalk: @WilliamShatner We’re so excited to see you join the conversation for another year in a row - your tweets are moving at… 4 months ago
- On the menu tonight: Brie and Caramelized Onion Stuff Chicken Breasts bigoven.com/recipe/Brie-An… 5 months ago
- On the menu tonight: Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin in the #crockpot. #slowcooker food52.com/recipes/22841-… 5 months ago
- On the menu tonight: Low carb cheesy cauliflower and ham casserole. A great way to use up leftover ham from the hol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 months ago
- On the menu tonight: @GDeLaurentiis mushroom and pea risotto pin.it/h3scqasoscp6jd 6 months ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen