On a Friday evening after a busy week at work, I can’t think of anywhere else Greg and I would rather go than the Pelican Grill. Only minutes away from our place, the basic comfort of the newly painted dining room (including pictures of the staff on the wall), plus the regular staff including our server John, makes this south end neighbourhood eatery one of our favourites.
On this particular night, I couldn’t wait for a bowl of their lobster bisque. Warm, creamy, large pieces of lobster. It’s a treat, one I often stop by the restaurant for take-out when Greg’s travelling!
Greg opted for the soup of the day, chilled beet with orange soup, garnished with smoked salmon and crème fraiche. It wasn’t the lobster bisque by any means, the orange was a little overpowering, and neither of us really tasted the smoked salmon.
As I sipped on a glass of Huff Estates Riesling and Greg a pint of Stemwhistle (the Pelican Grill only supports local breweries), it was nice to chat amongst the full dinning room, contributing to the perfect atmosphere.
It wasn’t hard to decide on our mains, I was in the mood for moules et frites (mussels steamed in creamy garlic sauce with fresh cut fries and aioli), and Greg the freshly steamed lobster with a side salad (bib included). We were both happy with our meals. My mussels were full of flavour, the fries amongst the best I’ve had. Greg worked hard for his meal, not sure he would order it again.
It’s nice to have a place we can relax and unwind at come the end of the week. Thank you to the Pelican Grill and our server John for being there when we need them. ~kM
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- Everything but the kitchen sink! #tomatoes #artichoke #cucumber #redpepper #feta #carrots #greenonion #lemongarlic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Hey @FarmBoy where did the grilled artichoke salad go? It was our go-to at the salad bar. :( 2 weeks ago
- RT @TheSocialCTV: You could win a $1,000 @AirCanadaVac gift certificate towards a dream family vacation! RT for your chance to win. ✈️ Ru… 3 weeks ago
- Sweet and Smokey mesquite seasoning, yeserree @FarmBoy! #OwnTheGrill #bbq #steakonthebarbie #grill #grilledveggies… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- On the menu tonight: oven baked whole roasted cauliflower via @HealthyyyFoodie thehealthyfoodie.com/oven-baked-who… 1 month ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen