In the spirit of Mardi Gras, we prepared a recipe we’ve made a number of times. It’s an easy take on jambalaya that we came across one time when looking for a one-pot meal to make for a large family gathering that could easily be made into a double-batch. The recipe is now one of our “go-tos”, we LOVE its simplicity and spice!
Friday Date Night #2
The food: Quick Jambalaya (recipe courtesy of Kraft Foods)
The beverage: Gouden Carolus (Belgium beer)
The mood: Harry Connick Jr.
We always seem to find it difficult to cut sausage, it seems to get sticky and messy. If there is a trick to cutting it, please fellow foodies we beg you to share it with us. We used white rice (however often substituted it for brown), and we usually add whatever we have left in our crisper, this time it was half a green and half a red pepper, and some onion. We both like added zing to our food sometimes, and you wouldn’t think that just a half cup of barbeque sauce could be enough heat, but it definitely does the trick. Greg was pretty hungry, so this quick version of jambalaya was perfect for this Friday Day Night!
It was all me this week (the recipe, the booze and the tunes), lucky for Greg he works across the street from a grocery store so he picked up a couple of the missing ingredients. It was a no-frills-week, eating our meal side-by-side on the sofa, sipping beer right out of the bottle while listening to the southern sounds of Harry. Close your eyes and you’re in New Orleans (just without the beads and the hangover). ~kM
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- @Sheas75 On the menu tonight: Baked Lemon Butter Tilapia 🍋🐟 damndelicious.net/2016/04/30/bak… #meatlessmonday #tilapia 6 days ago
- @Sheas75 It was pretty good. I added some onions and herbs to give a little more flavour. 6 days ago
- On the menu tonight and already in our slow cooker. Portobello mushroom and chicken #comfortfood #slowcookersunday… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- On the menu tonight: Shepherd’s Pie #comfortfood #groundturkey #winter #sunday #justlikemommade #usingwhatihave https://t.co/ssccGQAx8y 2 weeks ago
- Cheese crisps (only cheddar and garlic powder). #keto #ketogenicdiet #nofilter https://t.co/QwWrlbLS18 2 weeks ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen