Sometimes it’s fun to be a kid again and get a little messy, and there is a no better suppertime meal like Sloppy Joes that let’s you get down and dirty.
I don’t love grocery shopping, but I do love getting the ingredients I need for a great Sunday dinner, especially one that can be done in the slow cooker. Relaxing on a Sunday afternoon, as dinner simmers and fills the house with wonderful smells is the best way to end the weekend (and distract me from what some of us like to call depression Sundays).
This Sausage Sloppy Joe recipe from Canadian Living required browning the meat before mixing all the ingredients in the slow cooker and turning it on, not always ideal if you want to make this meal before leaving for work, but on this day I had the time. I usually find this to be a turn-off, I don’t want to cook before I put everything into the slow cooker, doesn’t that defeat the purpose? Anyways, besides the 20 minutes of prep, including chopping onions, mushrooms and red pepper, this recipe is actually pretty easy.
The recipe calls for four to six hours in the slow cooker on low or until the sauce is thick enough to mound on a spoon. After close to six hours (and warning Greg many times not to open the lid), it looked like we were good to pile this sausage and beef mixture on our buns. We opted for the PC Blue Menu Thins – Whole Grain Round White Buns as we’re not fans of too much bread, we’d rather taste the Sloppy Joe, paired with a side salad and it was a little bit of kid mixed with a little bit of adult.
We’ve done Sloppy Joes (sometimes referred to as Sloppy Kelly’s) before and cheated with a can of Manwich. However this version was hearty and chunky with all the veggies included (although we couldn’t really taste the sausage), yet it was still messy and napkin worthy, making the Sloppy Joe of our past seem amateur. ~kM
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- On the menu tonight: Goulash Soup with lamb #lowcarb #keto #comfortfood #fallfavourites dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-ca… 3 days ago
- On the menu tonight: Low Carb Shepherds Pie #keto #lowcarb #cauliflower #comfortfood mypcoskitchen.com/low-carb-sheph… 4 days ago
- On the menu tonight: low carb lasagna with zucchini noodles in the slow cooker #crockpot #keto #lowcarb #comfortfood wellplated.com/low-carb-lasag… 5 days ago
- Seems like the perfect time to heat up a bowl of @allin_mikuna #comfortfood @FarmBoy #soup https://t.co/kLn8CqcqUo 6 days ago
- On the menu tonight: Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Legshttps://lowcarbyum.com/crispy-oven-baked-chicken-legs/ #lowcard #keto #drumsticks 1 week ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen